Our Download of the Day today is uTorrent 2.0.3 Beta 20091.
µTorrent is a small and incredibly popular BitTorrent client.
Micro-Sized Yet Feature Filled
Most of the features present in other BitTorrent clients are present in µTorrent, including bandwidth prioritization, scheduling, RSS auto-downloading and Mainline DHT (compatible with BitComet). Additionally, µTorrent supports the Protocol Encryption joint specification (compatible with Azureus 188.8.131.52 and above, BitComet 0.63 and above) and peer exchange.
µTorrent was written with efficiency in mind. Unlike many torrent clients, it does not hog valuable system resources - typically using less than 6MB of memory, allowing you to use the computer as if it weren't there at all. Additionally, the program itself is contained within a single executable less than 220 KB in size.
Skinnable and Localized
Various icon, toolbar graphic and status icon replacements are available, and creating your own is very simple. µTorrent also has support for localization, and with a language file present, will automatically switch to your system language. If your language isn't available, you can easily add your own, or edit other existing translations to improve them!
Actively Developed and Improved
The developer puts in a lot of time working on features and making things more user-friendly. Releases only come out when they're ready, with no schedule pressures, so the few bugs that appear are quickly addressed and fixed.
The latest version includes the following changes:
Changes in Version 2.0.3 Beta 20091
- Change: Render TCP rates in speed graph when uTP is not throttled
- Change: Moved net.calc_overhead to the Bandwidth settings pane
- Change: Turn on uTP throttling when scheduler is in "limited" mode
- Fix: Fixed a delayed ack issue in uTP (lowers overhead)
- Fix: made magnet links in RSS feeds work
- Change: made uTP packet size increase based on low delay measurements
- Fix: made uTP packet size depend on total send rate, not just uTP send rate
- Change: new advanced settings net.disable_ipv6 that defaults to True on 64bit Windows
- Change: Don't show add torrent dialog by default.
- Feature: Add checkbox to disable UDP trackers
- Change: Sharper help graphic
- Fix: fixed crash while adding torrents - if more than 100 are added concurrently it will be done silently
Further Reading: Read and find more Software news at our Software news index page.