Our Download of the Day is The Gimp 2.8.0.
The latest version of The Gimp is out, if you haven't heard of it before, here's what it can do:
The GIMP is a multiplatform photo manipulation tool. GIMP is an acronym for GNU Image Manipulation Program. The GIMP is suitable for a variety of image manipulation tasks, including photo retouching, image composition, and image construction.
It has many capabilities. It can be used as a simple paint program, an expert quality photo retouching program, an online batch processing system, a mass production image renderer, an image format converter, etc.
- Full suite of painting tools including brushes, a pencil, an airbrush, cloning, etc.
- Tile-based memory management so image size is limited only by available disk space
- Sub-pixel sampling for all paint tools for high-quality anti-aliasing
- Full Alpha channel support
- Layers and channels
- A procedural database for calling internal GIMP functions from external programs, such as Script-Fu
- Advanced scripting capabilities
- Multiple undo/redo (limited only by disk space)
- Transformation tools including rotate, scale, shear and flip
- File formats supported include GIF, JPEG, PNG, XPM, TIFF, TGA, MPEG, PS, PDF, PCX, BMP and many others
- Selection tools including rectangle, ellipse, free, fuzzy, bezier and intelligent
- Plug-ins that allow for the easy addition of new file formats and new effect filters
A changelog on this version:
* User Interface
- Single-Window Mode
- Multi-Column Dock Windows
- More Screen Real Estate For Dockable Dialogs
- Save And Export
- Layer Groups
- Tools Drawn With Cairo
- On-Canvas Text Editing
- Keyboard Shortcut Changes
- Simple Math In Size Entries
- Minor Changes
* Tools & Plug-ins
- Brush System Improvements
- Tool Preset Improvements
- Cage Transform Tool
- File Plug-Ins
- For Tablet Users
- Resource Tagging
- Minor Changes
- Plug-in Development
* API Changes
You can download The Gimp 2.8.0 here.
Further Reading: Read and find more Software news at our Software news index page.