Samsung Launches New Slim External DVD Writer for Laptop and Netbook Market
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., a worldwide leader in digital consumer electronics and information technology, announced today it will display a prototype of its new slim external DVD writer, the SE-S084D optical disk drive (ODD) at the Treasure Island Hotel in a private product display room during CES 2010. Featuring a more compact footprint and lighter weight than competitive offerings, the new DVD writer also delivers high-performance with a USB power source to eliminate electrical outlet requirements.
"Because netbooks are designed for ultra mobility, they aren't typically equipped with optical disc drives, which can potentially make booting from a CD or playing a DVD movie a problem," said John Suh, director of OMS sales and marketing, Samsung Semiconductor, Inc. "But with the lightweight, portable SE-S084D Optical Disc Drive, you have the perfect on-the-go, stand-alone. And thanks to its USB BUS power source, you can write at maximum speed with no outlet in sight."
Featuring a sleek design with a stylish metallic centerline, the new SE-S084D has won the iF Product Award Design, which is one of the world's top three leading design awards, sponsored out of Hannover, Germany. The SE-S084D features a rounded shape and compact size that is 20% smaller than conventional DVD writers. It is 25% lighter than Samsung's conventional DVD writer to accommodate today's hectic mobile lifestyle.
The SE-S084D DVD writer is engineered to be compatible with all major operating systems, including Win7 and Mac OS. The new DVD writer features Buffer Under Run technology to prevent errors that result from writing speeds that exceed data transfer speeds, while also enabling PC multi-tasking.
The SE-S084D DVD writer is an eco-friendly product, manufactured with lead-free soldering technology plus harmful materials such as Pb, cd, cr+6, Hg, PBBs and PBDE have been eliminated.
The DVD writer drive provides a variety of speeds across different data media types including: 24X CD-ROM, 24X CD-RW, 8X DVD±R recording, 5X DVD-RAM recording, 8X DVD+R Dual Layer recording, 6X DVD-R Dual Layer recording, 8X DVD+RW recording and 6X DVD-RW recording.
The SE-S084D is available worldwide in Q2 2010.
Latest News Posts
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 explodes and catches fire
- NVIDIA CEO hands out first Tesla V100s to AI researchers
- ADATA's new XPG SPECTRIC D40: RGB DDR4 for X299
- Battlegrounds made more than Overwatch on PC last month
- Intel Core i9-7920X: 12C/24T @ 4GHz, 140W TDP, and $1199
- GIGABYTE X299 AORUS Gaming 7 Motherboard Review
- Comic-Con 2017 trailer round-up: MCU vs DCEU vs the rest
- graphics card not detected via riser cable
- Maximum ratio (x39) with 4,06GHz for i7 4770 on GA Z87X-UD3H?
- Supermicro SuperO Booster Software Guide
- ADATA Debuts XPG SPECTRIX D40 RGB DDR4 RAM
- Atari announces Blade Runner 2049 partnership with NECA and Audiowear, launching wearable technology that blurs the line between fashion and future
- BIOSTAR introduces the world's first 8-slot PCI-e mining motherboard with the TB250-BTC+
- HyperX unveils HyperX Alloy Elite and TKL HyperX Alloy FPS Pro mechanical gaming keyboards
- Toshiba Memory Corporation develops world's first 3D flash memory with TSV technology