Before proceeding any further I would like to point out that any of the following steps involving double sided tape can be replaced with a good quality plastic glue or epoxy. I like to use tape for a few reasons - the first being it is a lot easier to work with than glue, and secondly it makes it possible to reverse the mod allowing for the drive to be used again in another build or PC. I have myself used glue for past stealth mods fearing the adhesive quality of double sided tape. But I can assure you the tape (as long as its high quality) will hold, easily supporting the complete weight of the optical drive.
As this mod revolves around moving parts, we need to make sure everything has room to move freely and without any sort of obstructions. This is a relatively simple task starting with the 5.25 bay cover we found earlier. Remove the mounting clips from the rear of the panel, this will allow for the door to move in and out trouble free.
I would also recommend skimming back the inside of the bay just a touch for this I like to use a fine flat file.
With everything "shaved" down it's time to get it all lined up and put together. Cut a five inch strip of mounting tape making sure to only have one side exposed at this point stick the piece to the optical drives drawer.
The next step is the most complicated things are going to get, which is lining up your drawer with your 5.25 cover. I find the easiest way to go about this is by placing the optical drive back into your PC pushing it further to the back of the 5.25 cage than normal. Unpeel the remaining backing from the tape.
Carefully position the bay cover into its normal location in front of the drive, and whilst holding the cover in place, push the drive towards the front of the case. If done correctly the two components should adhere together without the hassle of pulling out the measuring tape.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Monster Hunter World launches January 2018
- Left Alive is Square Enix's shot at survival mech action
- Rocket League Autumn Update available September 28
- Synology introduces new XS, Value and Series NAS
- ASUS introduce the ROG Strix Fusion 300 gaming headset
- ad240ehdgmbox on m3a785gmh/128m mainboard?
- 8K benched: RX Vega 64 vs. GTX 1080 Ti vs. TITAN Xp SLI
- AMD X399 TR4 Threadripper Motherboard Buyer's Guide
- Gigabyte System Information Viewer
- ASRock X399 Professional Gaming Motherboard Review
- In Win Launches 'Wood-infused' 305 Mid-Tower PC Chassis
- Micron appoints Anand Jayapalan as Storage Business Unit Vice President
- Bluehole, Inc and Microsoft announce expanded partnership for PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
- Optimize system performance with new drive adapter
- Lian Li reveals new PC-Q39 tempered glass Mini-ITX tower