Telenor and Opera to co-operate on mobile Internet growth worldwide
Oslo, Norway - 25 August, 2010
The Telenor Group and Opera Software announce a non-exclusive Global Frame Agreement aiming to stimulate rapid growth of mobile Internet services across Telenor's business units. Telenor's business units can co-brand, distribute and run the Opera Mini mobile browser across its mobile handset and subscriber portfolios. As a result, Telenor's customers in all geographies will be able to enjoy a fast, affordable and user-friendly mobile web experience on their favourite handset.
Under the agreement, Opera Software and any of Telenor Group's business units may develop a co-branded version of Opera Mini that is adapted to the local operator. Opera Mini is the world's most popular mobile phone browser with 60 million monthly users.
As part of the Global Frame Agreement, Opera and Telenor will also work to further innovate and expand the scope of the mobile web.
"Telenor has a vision to provide mobile Internet with a great user experience to everyone. We are confident that this agreement will help us provide Internet to a larger user group across the world," says Morten Karlsen Sørby, EVP and Head of Corporate Development, Telenor Group. "We are thrilled to work closely with Opera, a company that spun out of Telenor in the late 1990s, and have grown to become one of Norway's most successful technology exports."
"Our goal is simple: help Telenor grow its user base and revenues by delivering an unparalleled Internet experience to every local operator in the Telenor network. Telenor's strong global position is a result of their relentless commitment to the customer, in markets as diverse as Sweden, Russia, Bangladesh and Hungary," says Lars Boilesen, CEO, in Opera. "We are proud of our heritage from Telenor's research labs. Today, we join efforts to give more people the opportunity to fully enjoy the web on their mobile phones."
The first deployment of Opera Mini in the Telenor network is scheduled for September.
Telenor Group is an international provider of tele, data and media communication services. Telenor Group has mobile operations in 11 markets in the Nordic region, Central and Eastern Europe and in Asia, as well as a stake of close to 40 per cent in VimpelCom Ltd., operating in 10 markets. Headquartered in Norway, Telenor Group is one of the world's major mobile operators with 184 million mobile subscriptions (per Q2 2010), revenues in 2009 of NOK 98 billion, and a workforce of approximately 40,000 employees. For more information about Telenor Group, please visit https://www.telenor.com.
About Opera Software ASA
Opera Software ASA has redefined web browsing for PCs, mobile phones and other networked devices. Opera's cross-platform web-browser technology is renowned for its performance, standards compliance and small size, while giving users a faster, safer and more dynamic online experience. Opera Software is headquartered in Oslo, Norway, with offices around the world. The company is listed on the Oslo Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol OPERA. Learn more about Opera at http://www.opera.com/.
Latest News Posts
- Bethesda pursues long-lasting relationship with Nintendo
- PUBG devs may be squeezed out of Battle Royale market
- Windows Store being re-branded as Microsoft Store
- Blizzard announces full Overwatch League teams
- NieR: Automata shipped and sold over 2 million copies
- Upgrading USB ports on top of case
- Areca ARC-8050T3 12-Bay Thunderbolt 3 RAID DAS Review
- GA-P67A-UD3P-B3 can't change multiplier past 38, can't change turbo ratio with i5 3570k
- TP-Link Archer C3150 Dual-Band Wireless Router Review
- Using Netgear wndr3700 as router extender problem
- AOC announces retail availability of AGON curved QHD gaming monitor
- Seasonic presents the PRIME Ultra power supplies
- EVGA announces GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 ELITE video card
- G.Skill releases AMD Ryzen-optimized Trident Z RGB DDR4 memory
- Hear the difference feel the beat of the DRUM