Spansion Inc., the leading innovator in Flash memory solutions, today announced the industry's first single-die 8 (Gigabit) Gb NOR Flash memory product at 45 nanometer (nm). The 8 Gb Spansion GL-T delivers high-quality, fast random access read performance to enable a better user experience with interactive graphics, animation and video in games and industrial applications.
Based on Spansion's proprietary, highly reliable MirrorBit technology, the 8 Gb Spansion GL-T will begin sampling next month. The Spansion GL-T family at 45 nm is the newest addition to the Spansion GL parallel NOR product line and complements the 65 nm Spansion GL-S product family, which ranges from 128 Megabit (Mb) through 4 Gb densities. With the fastest read and program speeds for NOR Flash memory in the industry, Spansion continues to expand its customer engagements and design wins for the Spansion GL product family, which is targeted at enriching the user experience in consumer, automotive, gaming, telecom and industrial applications.
High-speed, random access read performance is critical for gaming and industrial applications as more devices become Internet-enabled and require rich multi-dimensional graphics, fast data access, and connectivity with other devices as the "Internet of Things" continues to grow. For example, next-generation games are enhancing the multi-touch experience, increasing the need for more software and processing power, which requires fast read from Flash memory. In addition, industrial applications such as healthcare monitoring, factory automation and smart energy continue to demand increasingly more density and reliability, which is inherent in Spansion's NOR Flash memory.
- The Spansion GL-T and its high performance is ideally suited for handheld consumer games, game cartridges, handheld learning devices, and industrial applications such as healthcare monitoring, factory automation and home energy management systems.
- The 8Gb product will sample in December with production in the first quarter of 2013.
- Read performance of the Spansion GL-T at 8 Gb is 95 MegaBytes per second (MB/s) and program performance is 1.8 MB/s.
- Manufactured on advanced 300 millimeter (mm) production facility.
- Value-added software drivers and Flash file system software available to speed memory integration and increase device performance.
Michael Yang, Senior Principal Analyst, IHS iSuppli Corporation
"Spansion continues to innovate with its MirrorBit technology and develop new products that lead the industry in density for NOR Flash memory, which is increasingly expanding its application uses into connected and intelligent devices," said Michael Yang. "NOR Flash memory continues to play an essential role in providing instant-on boot up capabilities, fast access and interactivity for the increasing amount of graphics, video and data in Internet-enabled devices."
Glenda Dorchak, EVP and GM of Global Business, Spansion
"The trend of multiple content-rich connected devices per person is accelerating, expected to reach approximately seven connected devices per user by 2020. This creates design challenges for our customers as they seek to deliver a differentiated and personal user experience for end products, with more graphics-rich features and the ability to connect with other devices quickly and seamlessly," said Glenda Dorchak. "The Spansion GL-T dramatically increases interactivity and speed for quickly processing data and graphics, enabling high-performance and innovative designs in next-generation electronics."
Saied Tehrani, Ph.D., Chief Technology Officer, Spansion
"We have continued to scale our MirrorBit charge trapping technology efficiently to 45 nm to deliver the industry's first single-die 8 Gb NOR Flash memory," said Dr. Saied Tehrani. "Our proprietary 45 nm MirrorBit technology and our unique design architecture allow us to also deliver the fastest read and program speeds for NOR Flash memory in the industry."
Latest News Posts
- Battlegrounds hits 1.5 million concurrent users
- Battlegrounds beta coming to Xbox One very soon
- COD: WWII recommended GPU for beta: GeForce GTX 1060
- Intel making self-learning CPU, acts like human brain
- Core i9-7980XE used to break 4 world records in 3DMark
- Internet Download Manager Full
- Intel Core i9-7980XE and i9-7960X CPU Review
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 4K Blu-ray Review
- Upgrading USB ports on top of case
- Areca ARC-8050T3 12-Bay Thunderbolt 3 RAID DAS Review
- AOC announces retail availability of AGON curved QHD gaming monitor
- Seasonic presents the PRIME Ultra power supplies
- EVGA announces GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 ELITE video card
- G.Skill releases AMD Ryzen-optimized Trident Z RGB DDR4 memory
- Hear the difference feel the beat of the DRUM