We have seen a lot of gimmicky external hard drives over the years. Some companies have made their external drives able to handle being dropped, while others have made them in crazy colors with lights all over the place. But the one thing they have all had in common is that they were slow as molasses. The great savior to USB 2.0's slow speed was supposed to be eSATA, but the interface and technology never caught on like the industry hoped. eSATA could have been a worthwhile successor to USB 2.0 for storage devices, but USB, like the name implies, is universal and has even broken through to the consumer electronics market. With the high adaption rate, USB has been a huge success and that pretty much meant that eSATA never had a prayer for anything outside of the enthusiast market.
SuperSpeed USB brings a whole host of improvements to the universal serial bus standard. The most prominent has to be higher transfer rates, now up to 4.8 Gbps and full duplex communication. Most users will just think of USB 3.0 simply as being a speed increase, which is fine. Later this month we will have a full report on USB 3.0 and include all of the products available and all of the differences between USB 2.0 and USB 3.0.
A few weeks ago GIGABYTE and ASUS launched their revised P55 motherboards that included SuperSpeed USB and SATA 6Gbps. Ever since then we have been looking to source our first USB 3.0 enclosure. Several companies have TweakTown at the top of their list to send products to, but so far we have only received the Buffalo DriveStation HD-HXU3. One manufacturer did tell us that a key component is in very short supply and that is why there has been such a long delay. Luckily for us GIGABYTE had an extra SuperSpeed DriveStation on hand that they purchased in Japan and sent it over for a full workout on the new GIGABYTE P55A-UD4. A big thinks goes out to the GIGABYTE crew for thinking of TweakTown!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Windows Store being re-branded as Microsoft Store
- Blizzard announces full Overwatch League teams
- NieR: Automata shipped and sold over 2 million copies
- New Red Dead Redemption 2 updates coming next week
- Vivendi may take over Ubisoft in November
- Upgrading USB ports on top of case
- Areca ARC-8050T3 12-Bay Thunderbolt 3 RAID DAS Review
- GA-P67A-UD3P-B3 can't change multiplier past 38, can't change turbo ratio with i5 3570k
- TP-Link Archer C3150 Dual-Band Wireless Router Review
- Using Netgear wndr3700 as router extender problem
- AOC announces retail availability of AGON curved QHD gaming monitor
- Seasonic presents the PRIME Ultra power supplies
- EVGA announces GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 ELITE video card
- G.Skill releases AMD Ryzen-optimized Trident Z RGB DDR4 memory
- Hear the difference feel the beat of the DRUM